Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Tennessee plans only one year of extra federal summer food aid program for kids -Capitatum
Surpassing:Tennessee plans only one year of extra federal summer food aid program for kids
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:50:48
NASHVILLE,Surpassing Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee only plans to participate for one year in a federal program that gives low-income families $40 per child per month to pay for food while school is out, the governor’s office said Friday.
Tennessee is among 35 states, all five U.S. territories and four tribes that have opted into the Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer program, or Summer EBT, for this summer. Fifteen other states, all currently with Republican governors, won’t be participating.
Officials in President Joe Biden’s administration say the money is meant to supplement existing programs during the summer that have had a more limited reach.
In announcing Tennessee doesn’t plan to keep the benefit after one summer, Republican Gov. Bill Lee’s office echoed arguments from some of the states not participating, saying the initiative stemmed from a pandemic-era benefit and that other food assistance programs are in place.
“Tennessee enrolled in the Summer EBT program for FFY24 to ensure that families who depend on the benefits are served while the state returns to utilizing preexisting programs to meet the nutritional needs of children during summer months,” said Elizabeth Johnson, a spokesperson for Lee. “Established during the pandemic, Summer EBT was intended to supplement existing food assistance programs in extraordinary circumstances. We do not intend to enroll in future years.”
Signe Anderson, senior director of nutrition advocacy at the nonprofit Tennessee Justice Center, said Summer EBT helps fill gaps in existing food programs for families who need help when school isn’t in session. She said she’s grateful Tennessee will offer the benefit this summer, but is extremely disappointed officials appear to be ruling out further participation.
“I think it is a mistake to not continue with Summer EBT in 2025 and beyond,” Anderson said in an interview. “And we will continue to advocate on behalf of the families that could use the extra money to buy groceries for their kids.”
In December 2022, Congress made Summer EBT permanent starting in 2024 after the U.S. Department of Agriculture had tested it for several years. The states that chose not to opt in for this summer can still join for summer 2025, the USDA has said. Participating states will have to secure funding to pay half of their administrative costs.
The money will be on an EBT card, accepted at stores that also take Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.
Some states who are not participating have used the denial to make statements about COVID-19 relief programs or welfare in general — Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen, for one, said, “I don’t believe in welfare.” Others cited logistical hurdles and left the door open to participating in future years.
Under the federal program, some 644,000 Tennessee children can receive $77.3 million more in aid this summer, creating a multiplied economic impact, according to the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
All 50 states administer the existing Summer Food Service Program, which provides sites where kids can eat for free. Last month, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack told The Associated Press he’s worried that that program doesn’t “provide the help for all the children, no matter how well-intentioned it is.”
Tennessee, meanwhile, has drawn attention for its recent openness to losing federal money.
The state rebuffed roughly $9 million in federal HIV funding in January 2023 so it could refuse to fund Planned Parenthood. Months later, it was also disqualified from receiving more than $7 million under the Title X family planning program due to Tennessee’s policies for those clinics not to discuss abortion referrals because of its abortion ban. In both instances, the state backfilled the funding, but the federal government circumvented the state to directly fund organizations like Planned Parenthood.
Additionally, lawmakers have flirted with becoming the first state to reject all federal K-12 education funding — some $1.8 billion annually — over LGBTQ+ protections, testing rules and other mandates. Lawmakers studying the issue ultimately didn’t call for rejecting the money.
veryGood! (7927)
Related
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- When Caleb Williams cried after USC loss, what did you see? There's only one right answer.
- Florida woman wins $5 million from state lottery's scratch off game
- Woman sues ex-Grammys CEO for sexual assault and accuses Recording Academy of negligence
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Disney reports sharp profit growth in the fourth quarter; shares rise
- Former NFL Player Matt Ulrich Dead at 41
- Kentucky mom charged with fatally shooting her 2 children
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Angels hiring Ron Washington as manager: 71-year-old won two AL titles with Rangers
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- So you want to be a Guinness World Records title holder? Here's what you need to know
- South Carolina naturalist Rudy Mancke, who shared how everyone is connected to nature, dies at 78
- The family of a Palestinian activist jailed for incitement says young woman’s account was hacked
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Commercial fishing groups sue 13 US tire makers over rubber preservative that’s deadly to salmon
- When is Aaron Rodgers coming back? Jets QB's injury updates, return timeline for 2023
- NFL Week 10 odds: Moneylines, point spreads, over/under
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Grand Theft Auto VI trailer to debut in December. Here's what we know about the game so far.
Sarah Paulson and Holland Taylor's Sweet Comments About Each Other Will Warm Your Heart
Soccer Star Neymar’s Girlfriend Bruna Biancardi Speaks Out After Invasion at Family Home
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
In Michigan, #RestoreRoe abortion rights movement hits its limit in the legislature
Krispy Kreme wants to gift you a dozen donuts on World Kindness Day. No strings attached.
Court cites clergy-penitent privilege in dismissing child sex abuse lawsuit against Mormon church